If you enjoy this site, please visit these sponsors:


Saturday, June 16, 2007

Cold Stratification

There's been little activity with my coffee filter baggie seeds in the past couple of weeks, so I'm trying cold stratification. Germination rate in coast redwoods will increase when their dormancy period is overcome by extended periods of near-freezing temperatures. I've moved the seeds into baggies of moist seed-starting soil (mostly peat moss) in my refrigerator. In two months, I'll remove them from the cold, and keep the baggies out in the open where they may receive indirect sunlight. When the seedlings start germinating, I'll move them into their own cel-packs.

I wrote a more detailed post on cold stratification and the soil baggie method in my giant sequoias blog, if you're interested.

No comments: